Friday, January 12, 2007

I'm Home At Last

Hello Everybody
Thank you very much for all your thoughts and concerns!! One week in the hospital is enough for me. Positive: I was closer to my babies.

My blood pressure is still not back to normal but is being controlled at a more reasonable level on medication. I am now on more medications & supplements than I have ever been on before (9 different kinds). Positive: I am more likely to drink plenty of water

I missed a snow storm while semi-comfortable in my hospital bed. Positive: I stayed warm.


But, what you really want to know about ... the TWINS
Tyler looks just like his father's baby photo. He is the more mellow of the two. Kristina is a mini me, complete with the dimples. She is the queen of facial expressions and lets you know when she does not like something. She will be a handful.
Tyler and Kristina continue to improve every day. The doctor estimates that they will still be in the hospital come Monday but may be home early next week. Because of my c-section, I cannot drive for two weeks so I have to find somebody to drive me back and forth for their feedings (every three hours) or stay at the hospital all day. Although I would love to have them home so that I can feel like a mother, it is nice to be able to sleep at night in order to fully recover from my surgery before taking care of two preemies all night! As all the doctors say, it is important for me to heal since I am the primary source of food for the young ones. If you can't tell already I am trying to stay positive through the whole ordeal.

The next step for the twins now is to eat 140 calories/kg/day as well as be able to remain stable in their car seat for 1 1/2 hours (to be tested tonight). Tyler is only eating about 109 calories/kg/day while Kristina is up to 120 calories/kg/day. To his credit, Tyler is eating slightly more but because he weighs more is not reaching his required quota.


My milk is finally starting to come in. The twins drink my milk readily, and do better on it, than the formula. I have been told that it is normal to take a week for milk production after a c-section at 35 weeks gestation with high blood pressure only exacerbating the problem. The twins are not yet strong enough to suckle completely from my breast so pumping and bottle feeding is the best way to go. Tyler is much more enthusiastic about the breast feeding than his sister; he is his father's son.

Hugs and kisses from us all! Love Amy.

BTW: the dogs were very happy to see me and immediately found my healing incision site. Then the cats jumped on my lap causing me to vocalize my discomfort: I went back on my oxycodone.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are home. I know you will be glad to have the twins home soon.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Amy. Kyle and Zipora.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Amy. Kyle and Zipora.

Anonymous said...

Great Job guys. Glad everything came out okay. Love you and always thinking about you.
Linda & Bob Stockton

Mama Monkey said...

Glad to hear your home Amy. Get the rest you need and hope you get better soon. Can't wait to hear that the twins are home too.
Robin for the Wiley's

Anonymous said...

So happy you are home and things are improving. Way to find the positive in it all, it must not be an easy time. Thinking of you and my little niece and nephew,
-Auntie Kim

Anonymous said...

Grandma wants so desperately to see the babies. I'm glad you are breast feeding. I'll send you an article from Science News that says one group in Sweden found breast milk killed cancer cells. More tests are needed, but the article is great